Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Rise And Shout A Cougar Is Out...

I am so excited to announce that Riley was accepted into BYU for his Master's program....YAHOO!!!!
As most of you know Riley has worked so hard these last five years and will be graduating from the U at the end of April with his BS in Biology. He has taken some EXTREMELY difficult courses and worked so hard. Ever since last November Riley has spent many hours emailing, calling and traveling to schools all over the place. We've been to Fort Hays, KS; Laramie, WY; Utah State and BYU. Our first meeting with any school was at BYU back in December. After Riley's not so optimistic interview we went to lunch at the BYU creamery and pretty much ruled out the fact that BYU was an option for us. I had told Riley all along that BYU was the school I was praying for but if our family had other plans I would be okay with that too. Whenever Riley and I felt discouraged we would talk about a line in his patriarchal blessing that says, "pursue your educational goals..." and we knew we had to do our part if we expected the Lord to bless us. In our research and trips to Utah State we met a professor who is a liason between Utah State and the DWR. He gave us the information for an internship and recommended that we contact a professor at BYU. The professor's name was totally unfamiliar to us and we were shocked to think we had let a professor slip through the cracks whom we didn't contact. I have no doubt the Lord was guiding our family and because of Riley's efforts doors continued to open. After our trip to Fort Hays we decided not to apply because it didn't feel right for our family, everytime we talked about FH we felt uneasy. As far as Wyoming and Utah State nothing panned out with those two schools because of lack of funding, thanks to a poor economy. That of course left BYU as our last and only option for graduate school. Riley had a few interviews and felt good about them but we couldn't help but feel anxiety thanks to our original meeting at BYU that left us feeling inadequate. We received the letter in the mail yesterday and instantly we both felt sick thinking we would've heard through a phone call instead of a letter. Riley had been in contact with his potential advisor and we thought we would've heard from him first if we were accepted. Riley was so nervous he refused to open it immediately. He said he wanted to shower so he had time to prepare mentally for whatever answer we received. That left me with nothing to do but analyze the letter to every last detail. Initially, I thought it was thick enough for an acceptance but by the time Riley was finished I was convinced we weren't accepted because it was too thin, I was going crazy! Anyway, we said a little prayer before we opened it and when Riley began reading and I heard "Congratulations...." our tears of joy began to run and it took a minute before we could read anymore. Not two minutes after we read the letter Riley's advisor called to congratulate him so we knew it was for sure. I am so proud of Riley. It was one of the happiest moments for me when I was able to see Riley's joy and to know that his efforts were good enough and that he is now seeing the fruits of his labor. Riley and I are so grateful that our prayers were answered and we are excited for this new phase in our lives. Go BYU!!!Riley made sure to call his mom and dad very first and of course they were thrilled! We had a get together planned last night at the Madsen's so we were able to share the big news with the Perry clan all at once. We have such a great family that has taken so much interest in Riley's schooling - thank you for all of your prayers, pep talks and advice. I'm so glad we get to stay close by - we love you guys! Proof that it is official....

Clearly, Kennady is so happy for her Daddy too!

8 comments:

Janelle said...

A big congratulations to Riley! I am glad to hear you will be staying close.

Go cougars!

Emily said...

Hooray! I am glad I read your post about this today because it made me cry. It was so sweet and exciting. You will always remember experiences like that - the ones that you share with your husband and bring tears of joy! I am so happy for you and Riley.

Diana said...

YEAH!! Go Cougars...well that really comes from Alayna. But no matter where you are going to school WE LOVE YOU! You have always known that I truly believe, "Riley is the best!!" So it is BYU's priviledge to have him attend there. I am not surprised, I knew it would all work out. I LOVE that prayers are answered and life goes on. I love to see faithful people blessed for all the efforts. Riley and you have remained dedicated and faithful through all the HARD times of schooling I am so glad you get to breath a little lighter today! I truly am SO HAPPY for you. YEAH!!!!!

Kateka said...

Congratulations!! I am so excited for you.

Grandma Lou said...

Welcome to the "Only True University" club!!!! Heee, Heee!!! (don't show this to Jared!) Riley-- Mike and I are so verrrryyy proud of you!!!! You truly deserve this blessing and great fortune!!!! You have always worked so hard and magnified your role as a husband, father, priesthood holder, student and financial provider--with what, 2, 3 or 4 jobs at a time???? We love you and I always knew you belonged to Krista and us!!! Love, Grandma Lou

Grandma Lou said...

PS--The last picture of Riley and KENNADY LOU is ADORABLE!!!!!!! Pinch and kiss her cute little cheeks for me, Riley---you don't need to write that one down. Ha, Ha!!

melynda said...

hey congrats!! i remember getting adam acceptance letter. it was the best day of your lives and the first day of our future, good luck!

Ashley said...

Congratulations and welcome to BYU. We are so excited for you guys (but a little not since you are coming one year too late). You guys will love Provo (live at Wymount if only for the interesting experience). Doesnt it feel fantastic to have a plan! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!